Paul Renner & Futura
As I had brought in the book “Just My Type” I didn’t want to leave it out and there was a chapter about Paul Renner and Futura that was relevant to the chapter we are recreating visually.
Here are a few facts about Paul Renner & Futura:
- Its the best know German font
- IKEA use it instead of Verdana
- Paul Renner was a painter, typographer & lecturer
- “Die Schrift unserer zeit” translated to “The typeface of our time”
- This could have been written alternatively as “Zeitgesit”
- Renner went on to spend 4 more years perfecting the font.
- In 1925 much of the civic appearance of Frankfurt was set in Futura
- There are many similar typefaces to Futura
- Volkswagen still uses Futura.
- The message in space left by Apollo II Astronauts was left on a plaque in Futura.