Facts based on research
These are just a few bits of research that are relevant to the entire chapter:
- The Bauhaus suffered public humiliation in 1923.
- Bauhaus Austellung showed the institutions new, post expressionist and functionalist identity.
- “Technology does not need art, But Art does need technology”
- The idea of turning the Bauhaus back to the machine Aesthetic.
- Deutscher Werkbunds goal was to provide high quality designs for the modern world.
- A New logo was made for the Bauhaus featuring an interlocked square, a equilateral triangle which was tightly circumscribed by a circle.
- The logo would function visually as an in arrow in some instances, much like the progress of the Bauhaus itself.
- The elementary geometry & dynamic asymmetry capture the heart of the constructivist aesthetic.
- Sans serif was expanded as the typographic standard at the school, Just like Futura.
- The idea of all typography must emphasise clarity over any other element was incorporated.
- Every art form was to be assessed on its ability to perform its task which was to get the message across in a basic way.
- Herbert Bayer designed a new currency which then became worthless by 1923.
- There was a dramatic shift in the style of the Bauhaus way of representing things graphically in 1923.
- Students were encouraged to shift and follow the constructivist trend.
- Joust Schmidt designed a poster in honor of the Russian Constructivism.
- Orthogonal design and architecture were a big part of the style.